Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Halloween cake

Jacob, Rufus and I made a Halloween cake this evening.
We broke an egg, then realised that it had been our one and only egg. So we added a couple of spoonfuls of what I took to be egg replacer (you know, designed for vegans), but turned out to be gram flour. Oh well, no harm done - extra protein. I located the egg replacer and added that also, while the boys stirred. Then they measured up one cup of brown sugar, and 2/3 cup of olive oil, while I grated four carrots, one large apple, and some fresh ginger root. That all went in, as well as a scant cup of plain full fat yogurt, half a cup of shredded coconut, 2 cups of white whole wheat flour, and two Rufus-heaped teaspoonfuls of baking powder. Also, some cinnamon and some nutmeg.
We put it in the oven as soon as the lumps were mostly gone, largely to prevent Rufus from eating more of the batter before it cooked.
While it was cooking, Rufus helped me make orange frosting by mixing cream cheese with a bit of powdered sugar and plenty of yellow and red food dye (special treat! E numbers!). It was hard to persuade him to refrain from adding in the blue and green colours too, and then even more so to restrain him from taking yet one more enormous TRYYY of the frosting.
I had to conceal it in the fridge and distract them with lamb chops while the cake cooked and cooled.
Then we decorated it, and showed it off for the camera. 

We all have our camera faces on




goes down a treat

...and we still have some left for tomorrow

No comments: